Kettering Health is a not-for-profit system of 13 medical centers and more than 120 outpatient facilities serving southwest Ohio. We are committed to transforming the health care experience with high-quality care for every stage of life. Our service-oriented mission is in action every day, whether it’s by providing care in our facilities, training the next generation of health care professionals, or serving others through international outreach.
Responsibilities & Requirements
**Possible Incentives for external Surgical Technologists
Up to $10,000 Sign-on Bonus based on experience and employment status (full/part-time)
Relocation Bonus available (amount may vary dependent on the distance of the move)
Returning employees must not have been employed by Kettering Health for the last 6 months prior to rehire
The surgical technologist (ST) is responsible for assisting in direct care to patients undergoing surgical intervention by selecting, setting up and passing of sterile instruments to the surgeon and assistants, under the direction of the RN and the surgeon. Responsibilities include, yet, not limited to the following:
- Appropriately labels and handles patient specimens.
- Competently performs Surgical Technologist skills as defined by the unit’s scope of practice.
- Maintains a clean, safe environment free from clutter.
- Receives and responds to appropriate delegation; does not perform skills/care that has not been delegated by a licensed nurse or physician.
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to emergency situations.
- Demonstrates safe infection control practices.
- Assists the nurse/physician with patient procedures.
- Performs preceptor activities as requested.
- Participates in one elective educational opportunity.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of aseptic technique in preparing for and assisting in surgical procedures.
- Prepares OR table and scrubs with surgeries.
- Provides necessary instruments, supplies and equipment during surgery.
- Acquires and demonstrates skills needed to operate specialized equipment used in the OR.
- Assist with preoperative and postoperative care as directed by RN
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of surgical procedures and provides necessary instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Assist with patient transport and other patient care duties in the OR.
Required Skills, Education and Experience:
- Associate Degree in Surgical Technology from a NBSTA accredited program or certification from NCCT; or
- Four (4) years of experience as a surgical technologist with a High School Diploma; or
- Four (4) years applicable on the job or military surgical technology training with a High School Diploma
Required Licenses, Certifications and Registrations:
- Certified Surgical Technologist required within one year of hire, if hired without certification
- Surgical Technology skills required, preferably in a hospital operating room environment
- Experience as a Surgical Technologist preferred